Wednesday, May 18, 2016

How I Have Been Editing

Even before I started typing what I had hand written, I was already mentally editing it. And tonight as typed three more chapters, I found them too long and somewhat repetitive so I cut out a great chunk on two of them and condensed some of it down. My notes for  Chapter 11 were especially  long, a lot had to be taken out.  I  carefully decided what needed to go and what seemed repetitive from previous and subsequent chapters (those I have yet to type) and within each chapter itself.

This definitely is how to write, I have been told.

As of now, typing chapters 12-15 and the epilogue remain to be done. One of these is already pretty short.  I'm anxious to see how many I get typed tomorrow.

3 comments:

Ann Bennett said...

Sounds like you are making great progress. I am bad to be repetitive and my work improves much from cutting excess out. Sometimes, I am just on a tangent which shows up on my blog posts at a time.
Take care.

Mich said...

I tend to do the same thing--writing like 1000+ words more than the story really needs. It's tough deciding what to cut and what to keep.

Stephanie Faris said...

Ah yes...it sucks to have to cut large chunks of our work, but if it makes the book better, it's all good.